Skip to main content

Christianity Does Not Save Us From Life


We all teach our children that God is love, and if we love God, do His will, our life will always be blessed. That is true in essence, we are always blessed, however, real life brings difficulty even when we love others, live for God, and even when we are doing what we believe to be right. Being spiritual or a Christian does not exempt us from living in a world that is generally sinful.


We have sickness, sorrow, disappointment, failures, heartaches, trails and circumstances we do not know which way to turn. Of course when we turn to the Lord, we have always gone to the right source.

What we often fail to realize is that there are obstacles in life that are not based upon our love for Christ, living a Christian life or anything to do with God. The reason is that our daily life is surrounded by humans who do not believe as we do, have not received the grace of God and do not seek to please a living God.

Some people reach maturity thinking that life is going to be a piece of cake because we are brought up as Christians and that everyone thinks like we do. Everyone is going to love us, and everything that happens to us, is literally God's will. Well, that is just not the way life is inside of Christianity or outside. Of course we know if we are a Christian we will survive things better than we if are non-believers.

Christianity does not save us from life things that hurt us. It does not save us from being criticized, judged, being broken hearted or from pain. What it does do for us is, it gives us grace, courage, and strength to move forward even in the face of difficulty.

Not all people are naïve, as I was, however, I think I thought....no, let me rephrase this, I did not think about it. I just assumed my life would be all good because I was a Christian, and that was all I knew from a child. I was taught that goodness, that purity, and that if Christ was the center of our life, all would be well.  I simply did not know what to avoid if at all possible in life. When I woke up from this delusion, it was heartbreaking. Not because I thought I was perfect, but because I took my raising as truth, and I did not know what to shield myself from. I took the scripture for exactly what it says.

Psalms 23: 1-6

1 (A Psalm of David.) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
There are times we must walk the valley's alone, there are times we cannot seem to reach His throne,  there are times our soul is lacking restoration, and there are times we do not know if we can battle the storm.

There are times when evil presents itself, we do not walk the other way, we allow it to come into our life, often thinking it will not destroy our salvation. There are times we dabble with danger, thinking we might learn something wise. Wisdom is that the soul is not refreshed with sin; sin when conceived in turn bringeth forth death.

What we forget is that the Lord does not withhold or bring upon us pain, and agony that we often feel. It is our on doing, by forgetting we have not made it yet. We cannot hang our hat at the door and say we are ready to go and forget about it. It is a daily effort. It is something that we must work on as if we just started the journey, as it is not over until He come back for us one sweet day.

What we must remember when teaching and learning ourselves is that we are never beyond failing. If we think we are beyond the tactics that Satan uses, we are headed for a rude awakening. When we least expect it, our life can be turned up side down, and then down side up.

These are the words Jesus gave me today. I have neither made it nor do I believe I am exempt to failure. I have failed many times, yet I know that when I reach up to a Savior who has the greatest love ever known, He is always there waiting, welcoming, and giving me grace to keep trying.

As the song says - "He was there all the time."

God Bless..

Linda Todd  





Comments