Skip to main content

The Repairman


Life surprises me every now and then, and I am amazed with how God changes things for our good even though we do not see it at the time. I keep wondering why I put myself through the thinking process of how ‘I’ am going to handle things; when I do not have any control over it, one way or the other.  Why do I? Is this you? Are you, your repairman?
In my first life, (the one where Mom & Dad had control) I simply thought that God i.e. Jesus would do anything we needed Him to do. A little naïve, because what we think we need is often what God knows we do not need. God said he would supply our needs, and our needs are those things, which are essential to living.

In the Psalms, the 37th Chapter 25th verse: “I have been young, and now am old, yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”  

Neither the above scripture nor any of the scriptures relating to what God will do for us means that He will give us all of what we want. He will often allow us to have our wants and then teach us that sometimes our wants are not what we actually needed. He will supply what we need, if we are doing everything we know to do that is right, just, and by the Word.  
Mom prayed about everything, even for the washing machine. You see in those days, you did not get rid of the old machine that was out of date; you just kept right on using it until it could no longer be fixed. Sometimes, there was just not enough money floating around to call the washing machine repairman.  So, she prayed. Not only did she pray for the washing machine, she also prayed for the car when it would not start.  Did it work?  You betcha!!!!   Yes, she prayed for serious life issues also, and He always worked things out according to His will.  Mom had a enormous dose of

FAITH IN GOD.



Therefore, what has changed in our life that we are lacking in the ability to believe that Christ can do and will do those things, according to our needs. We are more dependent upon the repairman (our own abilities), and less dependent on the Lord for these kinds of things, right. We are more independent in our decision-making, right. At least it appears that way.  Why?  I think we feel a little silly to ask the Lord to help the washing machine work, or the car to start and afraid we will be looked upon as being too religious, too dependent, too un-realistic.   In personal life concerns, we have a tendency to think we know what is best for us. What we forget is that we cannot know or see the results, as God does.

 I think we could all agree that in this day and age, we do not put our trust in the Lord like we used to.  If it was a very important issue, or a little bump in the road, we knew we could not and would not make it without God Almighty. When a crisis hit, we hit the floor on our knees. Now, we try to figure out how we can work it out, rebuild the situation, or make it go away. Sometimes we work it out, it ends okay and then sometimes it does not turn out the way we expected. When the latter occurs, it means we missed a point or part of the equation that was necessary to make the idea, the solution, the bottom line, the conclusion, the end, acceptable for a full recovery.  This is when we realize we should have consulted the Father, who knows everything.
If we are fully living in Christ, we should start with Jesus running the show, us following the format outlined by Him, trying not to intervene with our own need to be the one to fix it and making sure we have prayed enough for the right outcome. Whether we like it or not.  I, myself have failed at this often.  I am a fix it person.  I want to fix it, make it right, have an ending sooner rather than later, and have a hard time waiting on the Lord. I want to be the repairman.  This has gotten me into too many battles, and wounded my spirit too many times.



I have failed as the repairman many times. Why?  I did not take the time to pray, learn what God wanted or waited long enough to see Him manifest Himself to me. In fact there were times when I was not living so that God would answer my prayer.  I just made decisions, right or wrong, lasting, or only for the short term, I took control. I was also rewarded the prize, or consequences should we say, of making my own decision that was just not the right fix for my carnal ways.
When we are living a life pleasing to God, most of us can tell when and if God is in something.  How?  From my experience it is a sweet peaceful feeling in the soul, and a feeling along with evidence (sometimes or eventually) that things are on the mend from a God who is in control. 

When we leave it to the Father, the all-knowing repairman who knows what is best; it will always work out for the best. Will it necessarily be what we want, or even what we think we need? No, not always, but if it is from God, it will not cause us harm, regret or sin. Harm comes when we make our own decisions without consideration from the Father. Unless of course He, The Father is letting us run our course.  He will do that occasionally.
I have experienced changes in my life that I made, based upon what I thought was right. Yes, sometimes it felt good, but it felt that way because I was seeking self-satisfaction, and not God’s will. In the end, looking back on some of my decisions, I now know differently. 



The thoughts for this post are; God does not make mistakes, His ways are not our ways, and He sees the future, we do not. He wants us to trust Him for “all things,” and provides the method to do so. In “The Word of God.” 

“In all thy ways acknowledge Him; and He shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:6 (KJV).

“Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Philippians 4:6 (KJV)

Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth His will, him He heareth.” John 9:31 (KJV) *only the pray of repentance does He hear from the sinner. When the sinner repents, he will then hear his cry.

  Linda Todd

**all photos are labeled for re-use-
Flickr
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Comments