Skip to main content

Forgiveness and The Christian Life

The title to this post might seem simple, but when it is all said and done; living a true Christian life takes a lot of prayer, Bible reading, concentration, and love with a desire not to miss out on Heaven.  If we fail in either of the aforementioned; we could actually get a hardened heart and fail to see our own needs within our Christian experience.

We cannot depend on any other individual to keep ourselves straight; it is up to us when it is all said and done.  We cannot measure our life by anyone, but Jesus Christ.  We should not look at our fellow Christians and judge their behaviors as we then put ourselves in the league that is not ours to claim, it belongs to God, The Father, and The Son, Jesus.

We must forgive and forget.

Mark 11: 24-25
 Jesus said Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” 

 Here is the forgetting part!

 Hebrews 8:12

 which says For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

That is where the forgetting is!!! Remember their sins no more!! 

Psalm 32:1-2 –

 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.

Now, if God forgives and forgets; why would He not expect the same of us?

Not long ago I experience something that made me weak, disappointed, and without understanding, and why I had to experience the situation at this time in my life. I simply thought I had already had enough lessons in life and this just was not an appropriate time for me.  Yes, you could say that I lost my desire to even try to do anything, and I became judgmental, unforgiving and just plain could not find the right words to pray. All I could say was Lord help me.

I felt alone, misunderstood, and wondered why I had been stupid enough to believe another person who had said they were my friend and loved me.  No, this was not in my Church family or anyone in my hometown.  It was someone I had known a long time, had never been close to, but worked with many years ago and I wanted to believe I had won the praise I was given, because it felt so good.

It REALLY felt good!! I thought I had won the prize for being the most talented person in the world, work and other.  Not really, but almost..just kidding.  I know my limitations and weaknesses, but I do strive for perfection and that I will never be sorry for.  AND okay, I am still a talented soul within my work, it was not about work, my work was fine!!!  It was something made into something that did not exist.  Yes, part was blamed my hearing disability,which was apparent in at least 2 other individuals with similar or the same problem. 


The above quote may be the very thing that separates us from people who have the wrong ideas about success, happiness, and being a Christian.  In fact, that may be the very thing that makes us a target for the enemy.  That is, if we are what we say we are!

When bad things happen to us, we forget what we have been taught. What the Bible says about us as Christians and what we know about ourselves.  In fact, I had taught in Sunday School that all humans have the same basic needs.  To be thought well of, to feel important, and to be loved and appreciated.  AND, that is still true according to Psychology.  So, I had received basic human needs and when they were transformed into a lie;  it hurt, and caused a whole heap of problems for me.

 Being a Christian does not make us immune to having personal needs which must be fulfilled. Even the Christian is still "human."  The human part of us still exist but in a different form. What being a Christian helps us to understand, forgive and remember that we have all sinned. It helps us to know when we have done something insufficient, wrong or horrible; and when to know that it has nothing to do with us.  It means that we learn from the Word how to deal better with our human needs, other peoples human needs and facing the fact that people will fail us at certain time.  We must look at the whole picture, and remember we never know what another individual is going through.



Being a Christian also means that we must forgive and forget.  Regardless of how hard it hit us, what the affects were in our life, and the why we may never understand, but must forgive.

Now, I am here to tell you that this was not something that I could do; initially.  It was uncalled for, unwarranted and unfair, but that did not change the fact that sometimes we have to prove our status as a Christian.  Get up, keep going and remember that everything is for a purpose.

Yes, I knew this already.  But, I had another lesson to learn, I had to look at myself again and realize that God gives us grief sometimes to let us know who is in control.  A lot of people believe He does not cause things to happen to us. Well, when we take advantage of His mercies and think we are in control because things are going well...He can get our attention.

I beg to differ as sometimes He allows us to suffer for our negligence!! And it is in the word here:




Lamentations 3:32  
 
But though He cause grief, yet will He have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies. 





Jeremiah 45:3  
 
Thou didst say, Woe is me now! for the LORD hath added grief to my sorrow; I fainted in my sighing, and I find no rest.


Then we must also remember that when we need Him the most, He will give us pardon.




Isaiah 55:7
 
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.



Though we may not feel unrighteous, if we neglect to overcome our weaknesses and leave out something like "forgiveness," we cannot be abundantly pardoned.

Sincerely,

Linda Todd



Comments

  1. Such a wonderful reminder of both God's forgiveness and our need to forgive others! This can be so incredibly difficult but is also necessary for our walk with Christ. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree, Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate you coming by to read. It is often very difficult to do, even when we say we know God wants us to. Pain from a hurt can tarnish and dull our joy though. I want to be more forgiving and know that by doing so, we are free without condemnation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment