Skip to main content

Christian Growth

In Second Peter Chapter 1; it seems that there had been a lot of teaching which appeared to be false and the people needed more Christian Growth.  Therefore, in these verses, Peter admonishes those who were believers to reach for more or higher knowledge of how to live more successfully and gave instructions on how to increase their Christian strength and growth in the Lord.

 "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises:  that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And besides this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 

For it these thing be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.


But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.


Wherefore, the rather, brethern, give diligence to make your calling and election sure:  for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall."  2nd Peter 1:  4-10 (kjv)


Our journey in life must include our Christian Growth for us to reach our final destination; A place called Heaven.


O' but how I need to spruce up my faith, my virtue, my patience, my godliness and love.  I can see how in these few scriptures that it takes a very close walk with the Lord to not stumble.  The scripture above gives reference to "shall never fall" as being stumble.  Sometimes I stumble everyday, and an honest confession is good for the soul.  Yes, I try not to and do not want to.  Who that is trying to serve the Lord does?  No one wants to, but the enemy who is ever present will cause us to forget our walk (if we let him) and only look at the temptation.  We tend to make excuses; at least I have.  Could be that I am the only one who is not perfect here???  Only kidding, of course; I know that I am not perfect, yet.

If we do not confess our faults and repent of them, as they occur, we can continue and add to this unholy walk and before we know it; need to get somewhere to pray for awhile, not just a few of these: "Lord, forgive me sentences."  If we give into no growth, we will grow in another direction. We go backward to the sins which before we repented of and then we have to do it all over again, as we cannot progress to the next stage of our Christian walk with the Lord, without it.

It doesn't matter who we are; we can't get saved and grow in our relationship to Jesus Christ, without work. Anything in life requires a little work, most of the time a lot of work.  We can't make money, without work; at least most of us.  We can't have a good marriage without work.  We can't have a good relationship with our children without some work.

Everyone has their own standard for Christian growth, I guess within their own life.  Just like anything else we do, we get into a pattern of how we serve the Lord, and yes the scripture does say that "everyone must workout their own salvation, with fear and trembling."  Don't forget the fear and trembling.   I simply know what my weaknesses are and I have to work on those things, not just a little bit but a lot. Yes, if it is something that is dangerous to us; the enemy will bring it back; out of no where.  I know, I have been there and seen it happen in my own life. I have some weaknesses and I have to watch them and stay on top of leaving those things behind which damage us in the long run. These things can keep me from living on a higher plain where I can have greater blessings from the Lord.  Here is a scripture that gives us a clue.

"If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:  But, verily God hath heard me; he hath attended to the voice of my prayer."  Psalms 66: 19, 20.

This was David's words and his assurance that God had heard his prayer, when his heart was right within His sight.

Then in James 4:3-  "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume if upon your lust." (pleasure)

v 7:  "Submit yourselves therefore to God:  Resist the devil, and he will fee from you.  v 8:  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.  Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

v10:  "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall life you up." 


So we must draw closer to Him or we will not benefit from His blessings if we are walking afar off and have not committed our way unto growing in our service to Him.  In other words we can't be luke warm Christians and expect God to answer our prayers and give us what we need.  If we do not grow into establishing more knowledge, more patience, more virtue and more love....we will find it easy to stumble. Christian growth is necessary in the Christian journey. 

Quote for the Day!

"When you think you are exactly where you need to be on your Christian journey, and that you have no room for growth;  it might be time to check in with the Lord.  If you do not continue to grow and your growth is complete, it can mean one of two things. One, is that you might be embarking upon death but, the other is that you have become a "stale" Christian."

Comments